Friday, July 16, 2010

Thoughts on Varg Veum Week


I've really enjoyed Varg Veum Week on MHZ Networks and we still have tonight and Saturday to come. Aside from viewing the great Veum episodes again, I've truly enjoyed the wonderful interviews at the end with creator/author Gunnar Staalesen. He comes across as a wonderfully engaging man who truly loves his creation and his home city of Bergen.

Also a treat to see how famous and popular Varg Veum is in Norway. So much so that he has his own statue in Bergen near his office at the Strand Hotel. Fascinating to know that the statue was based on the look of three men, Mr. Staalesen (we can see that in the photo above), Trond Espen Seim who currently plays Varg, and *another actor (sorry, didn't catch his name) who portrayed the fictional detective in the theatre. (I know the third actor was a guest star in an episode of Varg Veum, I'll have to find his name.)

I understand that three of the novels have been translated to English so far. I haven't read the novels yet, but I encourage anyone in the US, or anyone who can view MHZ Networks to check out Varg Veum tonight and tomorrow night.

UPDATE: Thanks to some wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable readers (see comments below for more info) I now know that *the actor who played Varg Veum on stage and radio is Bjørn Willberg Andersen click HERE for more information.




3 comments:

  1. The other actor is Bjørn Willberg Andersen ;) I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the information. I look forward to more Varg Veum episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bjørn Willberg Andersen is the other actor, he guest starred in Sleeping Beauty and played Varg Veum on stage and in radio plays.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...